Re: IPSEC

On 14:36, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> BTW upstream has removed the separate XENHVM config 6 days ago in
> r255744, its functionality is now in GENERIC.  That won't help
> kFreeBSD until we can drop kfreebsd9, of course, but it is progress.

Oh, that's great!  Thanks for pointing this out.

I wondered about doing this already in kfreebsd-9, but at least
if kfreebsd-10 is ready soon to go into sid (I'd prefer to wait
until first upstream beta version) then we'll have the choice of
at least one kernel having full XENHVM support.

The upgrade path for users could be a little awkward, because
deices are renamed by this e.g. ada0 -> xbd0 and network
interfaces em0 -> xn0.

That could result in an fstab entry becoming invalid (the installer
does not use partition IDs);  fsck fails to run and will drop to
single-user shell.  Or it could mean the network does not come up,
potentially leaving a server unreachable.

Therefore maybe it's best not to change this in kfreebsd-9;  and
simply warn users upgrading to kfreebsd-10 that the above will happen
in a Xen domU.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org