Re: Re: Cannot brk more than 500M on kfreebsd-i386

Indeed this is the case.  My question -- why the unusually low limit?

I do not know, that is the FreeBSD default.

I suspect it is because of the default .text, .data, and shared library
above the shared libraries, in which case more than 500M should be
available as .data.  Is there some other reason for the limit than this?
If not, is this value runtime configurable by the superuser somewhere in
/proc?

You first have to raise system wide limit
and after that eventually local limit by i.e.:

  sysctl kern.maxdsiz=1887436800
  ulimit -H -d  1887436800
  ulimit -S -d  1887436800

Petr