Re: FreeBSD 9.2

Hi!

On 17/07/13 21:49, Robert Millan wrote:
> - Fast-track 9.1 by uploading it immediately to unstable, then upload
> 9.2 (at least kernel) to experimental.

I would slightly prefer that to happen.  Perhaps 9.1 can go into
unstable right away.  (After notifying debian-boot@ and -release@ perhaps?).

I suspect 9.2 betas are more likely to cause problems than 9.1.  And the
release typically happen 1-2 months behind schedule.  So we should
probably get 9.1 into unstable first, especially as some people were
waiting on some of the driver fixes it has.

9.1 probably should not migrate to testing too quickly - I may file a
blocking RC bug on the grounds that it still has build-dependency on
gcc-4.6, which we know is going away for the next Debian release.  That
would artificially give more time for testing it too.

Testing 9.1 and choice of compilers is something I can and should be
helping with as soon as I start to have spare time again...

Also of note, security support is usually shorter for the even-numbered
minor versions.  We might even be considering a 9.3 kernel before the
Jessie freeze.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org