Upstart & kFreeBSD port for Debian

On 21 May 2013 21:53, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 20/05/13 at 18:19 +0200, Michael Stapelberg wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
> - Neither systemd nor upstart are likely to be ported to kfreebsd soon,
>   as they both rely on many Linux-specific features and interfaces.

Well, Colin Watson, Matthias Klose, Steve Langasek, James Hunt and I
have discussed the state of the kfreebsd possibility a few times over
the past year or so.

It boiled down to: if we have waitid & inotify it should be possible
to have a reasonable stab at doing a kfreebsd port for the system-wide
upstart init (with libnih and mountall). For session init we currently
do use prctl to set subreaper, but one can still have session upstart
init without that syscall.

Was there something else needed? Or can anyone else spot other "big
incompatible" chunks of code?

As it happens, waitid has been recently implemented in the FreeBSD 9.1
kernel [1]. While inotify is not-essential, it's still very nice to
have and it can be reasonably & sufficiently be implemented for
upstart's needs using FreeBSD's kqueue/kevent.

It was also roughly felt that code base can be kept reasonably tidy by
using weak symbols to encapsulate bsd/linux specific parts of the code
base, not dissimilar from how other large projects sometimes choose to
handle such portability.

[1] If I am correct to trust
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=170346&cat=  Not sure if it
is or when it will be available in debian's kfreebsd port

Regards,

Dmitrijs.
Ubuntu, Debian and Upstart Developer.