Re: Current and upcoming toolchain changes for jessie

Am 07.05.2013 17:48, schrieb Aurelien Jarno:
> On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 03:25:29PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> Up to today jessie did see updates for the kernel headers, eglibc, and
>> GCC.
>
> What a wonderful coordination with the release team. Quoting the last
> mail from them on the mailing list:
>
> | As for Squeeze, we'd ask that you co-ordinate particularly large
> | transitions or changes; if your plans involve major toolchain changes or
> | otherwise have the potential to cause problems in unstable for a long
> | time (e.g. due to FTBFS issues), please talk to us.

I think you are over-reacting a bit here.  My impression was that the eglibc
changes were coordinated within the team.  So what about the other changes?

 - a new version of GCC was uploaded, not as the default, but as a
   separate version.  I didn't want to split out the x32 multilibs
   again.  I didn't do a test rebuild of the archive, but this upload
   shouldn't cause any additional build failures.

   There is a mini transition involving ppl and cloog-ppl, however the
   GCC packages are the only reverse dependencies, so this looks fine.

 - binutils was not uploaded, just the intent for the changes
   communicated.

 - I didn't upload linux-libc-dev myself, but until today I didn't
   see any announcement or a test rebuild done by the Debian kernel
   maintainers, so I did add the note about what I did see in multiple
   packages when doing a test rebuild in Ubuntu.

   And I think it's a normal change, and build failures can be reported
   after a test rebuild.  You may want to contact the kernel team, if
   you think otherwise.

As you see in the release announcement, the Debian release team was aware about
the GCC 4.8 upload.  Further I did contact the release team (Adam Barrat) weeks
before the release how to better coordinate the opening of jessie. I assume that
just didn't happen because people were busy with other things.  Yes, seeing
people uploading random new library versions which did break at least the ppl
build did make me a bit nervous, so I wanted to get the required changes in
place for the upcoming transitions.

There were rumours that the release would be delayed until May 15, so I tried to
coordinate toolchain changes to be ready at this time.  So, the rumours did
prove wrong, and Adam Conrad did upload eglibc and gcc packages today.

>> For the Debian glibc maintainers, Adam Conrad
>
> Now I understand why I was not in the loop, I am not member of the team
> anymore. Glad to learn that in such an email.

It would help to keep down the sarcasm.  My intent was to describe that as an
coordinated upload of eglibc and GCC.  You do have commit rights for some GCC
ports as well, so you can surely contact me if a port is broken or unusable. But
according to test results, things look not worse for 4.8 than for 4.7.

  Matthias