Re: [Glibc-bsd-commits] r4387 - trunk/freebsd-utils/debian

Hi Christoph,

On 27/03/13 13:41, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> Modified:
>    trunk/freebsd-utils/debian/changelog
>    trunk/freebsd-utils/debian/freebsd-nfs-common.rpc.lockd.init
>    trunk/freebsd-utils/debian/freebsd-nfs-common.rpc.statd.init
>    trunk/freebsd-utils/debian/freebsd-nfs-server.nfsd.init
> Log:
> * Don't use --pidfile when starting/stopping daemons that don't create one:
>   - Prevents trying to start nfsd, rpc.lockd, rpc.statd more than once
>     (Closes: #700245)
>   - Fixes a 30-second delay as each service is stopped (Closes: #700249)
> * Stop nfsd with the correct signal USR1, since it ignores TERM

You may have seen these problems yourself?  You might see two instances
of rpc.statd running, and the kernel message on boot about nfsd already
running.  And shutdown is delayed for +90 seconds if all three of these
daemons are running.

start-stop-daemon is unable to generate pidfile for these because they
fork right after starting.

I've already tested this on a couple of systems, but could you perhaps
try it yourself and maybe upload to unstable?  Thank you very much.

After a couple of days I may ask the RT for an unblock.  At this point
there is no guarantee, but as it is such a trivial/annoying thing at
shutdown/reboot/upgrade I think it would be worth asking.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org