Re: spool scrub with customer grade drives

Hi,

On 18/03/13 16:47, Zagler Florian wrote:
> At the moment there is only one scrub each month which is suggested for enterprise grade drives.
> I think it would be a better solution to provide also a scrub each week for consumer grade drives.
>
> What do you think about this?

I think it will always depend on user preference.  For some, especially
with many disks, failing disks may need to be replaced fast.  For others
(especially laptop) it may be a nuisance, and would prefer it to happen
only rarely (or perhaps not at all).

The default schedule (first Sunday of each month) is the same as Linux
mdadm's cron and seems to be a good compromise.

But actually on a couple of systems I already changed this in
/etc/cron.d/zfsutils, from:

57 0 * * 0 root if [ $(date +\%d) -le 7 ]; then zpool list -H -o name |
xargs zpool scrub; fi

to a weekly schedule:

57 0 * * 0 root zpool list -H -o name | xargs zpool scrub

Maybe we could add a (commented out) example of that to make it just a
little bit easier to change.  (Some users will not understand the
existing cron entry which is a bit of a hack).

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org