Re: howto boot+preseed kfreebsd in qemu (was Re: netcfg: installation on kfreebsd maybe broken?

On 10/02/13 22:42, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 07:39:46PM +0000, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
>> $ qemu-system-x86_64 -m 512 -enable-kvm -net nic -net
>> user,bootfile=grub2pxe,tftp=. -serial stdio -boot n -drive
>> if=ide,bus=0,file=/dev/sdX,cache=writeback -no-reboot

> Is it possible to use anything other than IDE with kFreeBSD or rather
> our d-i?  I tried at least SCSI and Virtio, which both didn't seem to
> work. I think I skipped SATA.

Yes, with the same qemu command line as above, except if=scsi.  The
device's name will be /dev/da0 (SCSI/SATA) instead of /dev/ada0 (IDE).
Here's a preseed file I just tested:
http://pyro.eu.org/f/8Nwnc2CDTDKwtgi7VhsDrg.cfg

partman is always slow, it does lots of probing and syncing;  perhaps
especially so with this virtual SCSI device;  I get lots of these
warnings from the kernel but they stop after filesystems are mounted:
> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented

GNU/kFreeBSD doesn't support virtio yet (upstream added it in the
STABLE-9 branch and looks easy to backport post-wheezy.)  VMware also
has some special SCSI device that isn't supported.

The default SCSI block device in Xen works okay for me.  It's even
faster if you rebuild with XENHVM kernel config (we may also want to
build that as a new kernel flavour post-wheezy).

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org