Re: installing with root on ZFS (was: So, who's in charge of Kfreebsd? The installer is broken)

2012/7/25 Steven Chamberlain <steven@pyro.eu.org>:
> But there may be limitations to GRUB2's ZFS support.  I doubt it
> supports RAID-Z, but mirrored vdevs are okay;

Yep. And striped vdevs are okay too.

Note that the installer UI already detects (and warns) if user has
selected a layout which won't be supported by GRUB.

> compression works, but
> probably only if you use the default algorithm;

gzip compression should be fine too, at least with GRUB 1.99.  However
the partman-zfs UI doesn't support it, so it needs to be set manually
(patches welcome ;-)).

> You *can* use a local ZFS zvol as swap space but
> I don't recommend that as it appears to be unstable.

It depends a lot on your workload.  The problem is that zvol itself is
memory-hungry so when the kernel tries to move data from memory to
disk it needs spare memory for the operation, which can get stuck in a
catch22.  But this is only a problem if physical memory is filled
completely by other means.