Re: defaulting to GCC-4.7 for kfreebsd

Hi all!

Steven Chamberlain <steven@pyro.eu.org> writes:
> On 27/04/12 13:31, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> I'm now planning to default to GCC 4.7 for amd64 and i386.  Should kfreebsd and
>> the hurd do change at the same time, or should these stay with 4.6?
>
> As long as amd64 and i386 switch too, then I think it would be okay for
> us to do the same?  But I really want to hear confirmation from Robert
> and/or Christoph.

  I don't think I am really qualified/knowledged to make an informed
decision here -- the people with the real knowledge in kfreebsd
internals are Robert and Petr. I was hoping to get input from them.

> I tried anyway with gcc-4.7, and src:kfreebsd-9 successfully built a
> kfreebsd-i386 kernel that seems stable for a few days now.  Also the
> freebsd-utils (essential stuff for kfreebsd-* arches) were okay.

  This is, however good to know. Good thing to have the possibility to
build kernel and "rest" of the archive with the same compiler.

> I guess upstream has spent a lot of time already fixing up code for
> Clang/LLVM, which might reduce the impact of switching to gcc-4.7.

  This also tells us we might consider using clang for kernel and
freebsd-* post wheezy to be consistent with upstream here.

Regards

    Christoph

--
9FED 5C6C E206 B70A 5857  70CA 9655 22B9 D49A E731
Debian Developer | Lisp Hacker | CaCert Assurer