Re: KFreeBSD USB drive via lb config

Hi Sebastian,

On 06/12/12 08:41, Sebastian Schoeller wrote:
> Browsing the Internet I stumbled upon "lb config" as the Debian way in
> order to build customized live-systems. Searching for tutorials for
> KFreeBSD I could not find anything unfortunately.

That is the live-build package, which is very good, but unfortunately
doesn't support GNU/kFreeBSD yet.

I tried once to add the missing bits of code (such as linprocfs), and I
think I got past the bootstrap stage but didn't get as far as producing
a bootable image.

> my goal is to create a live usb stick with custom packages etc. which
> I can put into my MicroLiant 36L and boot from it in order to have a
> configurable live system which I can mount some ZFS raid-Z drives
> into.

Does it really need to run in RAM with only 'read-only' access to the
USB stick?  That's what a 'live' system traditionally does (they were
originally used from read-only CD/DVD media).

It sounds like for your situation it would be okay to boot a
'persistent' installation of GNU/kFreeBSD from the USB stick, which
would be writable.

You *might* be able to produce a bootable USB installation under qemu
from another machine, e.g.:

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 256
 -hda /dev/disk/by-id/path-to-usb-drive -cdrom ~/install-cd.iso

(this will wipe the USB stick and you will partition it during install)

(this runs faster with -enable-kvm if you have qemu-kvm installed and a
capable system;  you could also play with the -drive and cache= options
to speed things up some more)

I'd be curious to know if it works;  I'm not sure what the requirements
are for a USB drive to be bootable though.

I'm also not sure if the kernel will be able to find and mount the root
filesystem.  I guess that a UFS root filesystem is more likely to work
than ZFS - you can still mount your pool of RAID-Z drives later in the
boot process.

Also on first boot, the network interface will probably not be
configured (the ProLiant Microserver has a "bge" NIC I think, and qemu
can't emulate that type).  So you might want to adjust the configuration
in /etc/network/interfaces to "bge0" before booting.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org