Re: Kfreebsd Install of 8-28 mini.iso SUCCESS :) - with outstanding X issue

On 09/09/12 15:46, Dave Bechtel wrote:
> I added "no-hpet" to KFBSD /etc/default/grub

Sorry, not quite what I meant.  That won't work...

I don't think any parameter passed in from GRUB can avoid this.

> All other Vmware guests are working fine, so I'd rather not set that option on the host, which has:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="vga=773 elevator=deadline"

Also I didn't mean for you to change that either;  that controls the the
host's use of the system's real HPET device.

What I really meant is that VMware is emulating a virtual HPET device
and providing that to the guest.  I think disabling it would help to
avoid this crash.  I'm not familiar with VMware, but for example Qemu
has a -no-hpet argument and Xen has an (hpet 0) option for exactly this.

[I suspect the FreeBSD kernel, since 9.0, inappropriately guesses (based
on IRQ number) what devices to use level-triggered interrupts for and
will try to do this for the HPET;  some virtualisation platforms don't
seems to like it].

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org