Re: Using Linux emulation in FreeBSD to run a Debian Linux userland

Actually, I was wrong. I did receive this email, but it slipped through
the cracks.

I have some more thoughts that I will share below.

On 07/13/2012 11:17 AM, Petr Salinger wrote:
>> I understand that Debian GNU/kFreeBSD currently builds software using
>> the FreeBSD ABI. It might be easier to make some changes to FreeBSD's
>> linux emulation and Debian Linux's packages so that the FreeBSD kernel
>> could boot a Linux userland using the same binaries used in Debian
>> Linux. This would make many things start working and reduce the things
>> that you need to maintain dramatically.
>
> Please could, you give us some examples of what does not work correctly
> using FreeBSD ABI and works using Linuxator ABI ?
>
>> There is not much interest in this in either Gentoo or FreeBSD, but I
>> thought it might be worthwhile to share the idea with you.  Right now, I
>> have Gentoo Linux's userland running in a FreeBSD jail nearly perfectly,
>> so it is definitely possible.
>
> What kind of userland ? Do you have working X-server, attached printers,
> cameras, ...

Thinking about this some more, the main use case is for .deb files that
are from distributions like Ubuntu when recompiling them is not an
option. Google Chrome might be one, but I think we would need epoll working.

> Please see in http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_FAQ
>
> Q: Is it possible to run Linux binaries under Debian GNU/kFreeBSD kernel?
>
> A: Only as long as standard FreeBSD Linux Compatibility Layer is
> sufficient. Some symlinks might be missing. The basic linux-i386 chroot
> of etch and lenny under kfreebsd-amd64 and kfreebsd-i386 works.

If the burden of making things work moves from glibc to the kernel
compatibility layer, more effort would likely go into improving this. It
could also reduce the maintenance burden that Debian GNU/kFreeBSD's
developers have.