Re: Postgres in jails

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Steven Chamberlain <steven@pyro.eu.org> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Are you running multiple postgres instances?  The sysvipc namespace is
> unfortunately shared across all jails and with the host (which is why
> it's normally disabled).

No, just one postgres jail, but I just figured out another interesting
detail: the first time I try to start postgres in the jail, I actually
get a different error. It says "FATAL:  semctl(262167, 16, SETVAL,
536) failed: Function not implemented"

Afterwards, ipcs on the host machine shows active shared memory and
sempahores so I assume that for some reason those are not free'd when
postgres fails to start and the jail fails to create new ones
(probably the same issues that you would get if you tried to run
multiple postgres jails). If I manually run ipcrm -W on the host
system I can once again start postgres up to the error above.

So I guess the question is, why does semctl fail? Could it be a
missing feature in my kernel? I do have SYSVSEM enabled so I wouldn't
think so. Could it be an incompatibility between FreeBSD's kernel and
Debian GNU/kfreebsd's user space?

> It's also worth noting that our kernel raised some of the default SHM
> limits to specifically allow postgres to work (but you seem to have done
> that already)

Yup, I did.

cheers
--