Re: Checking if handbrake compiles under kFreeBSD?

Hi, Pino and others.

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Pino Toscano <pino@debian.org> wrote:
> Alle domenica 20 maggio 2012, Rogério Brito ha scritto:
>> I'm adding the HURD people here, so that they can test the package
>> and see if something should be done or not.
>>
>> For the HURD people, this is a reply to [my first e-mail][*] about
>> getting the HandBrake ripper/transcoder working on kFreeBSD and
>> patches that need to be added for building:
>>
>> [*]: http://lists.debian.org/debian-bsd/2012/05/msg00198.html
>
> Thanks for aking, although currently I cannot test it due to libfaac and
> libmp4v2 not being yet available.

There pre-ready packages of these packages in the git trees of the
pkg-multimedia team, but we are trying to make them both unused (by
licensing reasons) by substituting with freeer alternatives. This is a
work in progress.

> Although, I can provide some hints to help.

Thanks. I have committed your comments in [our git tree][0].

[0]: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-multimedia/handbrake.git

> When building, I noticed it wget's from download.handbrake.fr a svn
> snapshot of libdvdread; note this is not acceptable at all in Debian for
> two reasons:
> - a package build must use only things available within the sources
>  themselves (and of course stuff installed as build dependency too)
> - we have libdvdread in Debian already (which has been fixed for Hurd,
>  unlike that copy that fails)

Yes, I know that. HandBrake's build system is kind of crazy in that it
pulls its dependencies from their site and *patches* those packages in
customized ways.

We are working on that so that it can be readily compiled with the
versions of packages that we have in Debian.

> Furthermore, please disable (or make it optional) the use of ccache;
> while it may be useful during test builds, it is close to useless when
> doing builds in buildds.

If I recall correctly, the use of ccache violates the policy, but I am
keeping it there because I'm compiling and recompiling things over and
over here. The version of the package that will be uploaded to the
repository (when it happens) will be cleaned up, without those
extraneous things.

> Last, I attached a preliminary version of patch for Hurd support; as
> said above I couldn't go far in the build, although what I have so far
> would seem safe enough.

Thanks for all the comments. They have been very constructive.

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://rb.doesntexist.org/blog : Projects : https://github.com/rbrito/