Re: grub-install fails due to wrong target disk

i selected /dev/da6s1 as the zfs root partition. unfortunately, during grub2
installation, the installer tries to setup grub in /dev/da0 instead of
/dev/da6, which fails. instead of

  grub-install --no-floppy --force "/dev/da0"

it should use

  grub-install --no-floppy --force "/dev/da6"

There's a debconf template in grub-pc package to ask user which
disk(s) should GRUB be installed to.  I think grub-installer should
either offer the same functionality, or just rely on this template
externally (if possible).

Please could you file a bug on grub-installer?

i think there are already bugs for different architecture with exactly the same problem, f.e.

in the end i think it was my missunderstanding of d-i's message that it has found no other OS and would recommend installing grub in the MBR - which i always confirmed with [yes]. selecting [no] indeed gives me the option to manually specify the target drive (which ultimately also failed, but for different reasons).

regards,
thomas