Re: zfsutils migration (Re: new ZFS installs completely broken in Wheezy/Sid)

On 13/12/11 06:59, Robert Millan wrote:
> I guess we should allow it to migrate then?
>
> But I'm still worried about current Wheezy users being forced to
> upgrade to 9.0 and hitting problems like #651624.

Haha, I've quite a headache understanding all the combinations.  I'll
list the ones I can think of -- please correct me wherever:

A Squeeze ZFS user would have kfreebsd-8 8.1 and zfsutils 8.1, and may
like to:

S1. upgrade to kfreebsd-8 8.2, and would need zfsutils 8.2
S2. upgrade to kfreebsd-9, but would need zfsutils 8.3
S3. upgrade to kfreebsd-8 8.3, but would need zfsutils 8.3

Option S1 should be possible right now, but not if zfsutils 8.3
migrates, and not after kfreebsd-8 8.2 is replaced by 8.3 in testing;
old versions would have to be used from snapshots.d.o

Option S2 is only possible if zfsutils 8.3 migrates.  Same for option
S3, but that kernel is still in experimental.

A current Wheezy user may still be using the kernel+ZFS from Squeeze,
but more likely they have the 8.2 version of both.  They may want to:

W1. keep kfreebsd-8 8.1 -- an upgrade to zfsutils 8.3 should not happen
due to Breaks?
W2. keep kfreebsd-8 8.2 -- an upgrade to zfsutils 8.3 should not happen
due to Breaks?
W3. upgrade to kfreebsd-9, but would need zfsutils 8.3
W4. upgrade to kfreebsd-8 8.3, but would need zfsutils 8.3

Options W3 and W4 are only possible if zfsutils 8.3 migrates, or if
packages from Sid are used.

A new user may want to:

N1. use Squeeze, install kfreebsd-8 8.1 with zfsutils 8.1
N2. install kfreebsd-8 8.2 -- ZFS installs break due to d-i using the
zfsutils 8.3 udeb which is incompatible with kfreebsd-8 8.2
N3. install kfreebsd-9 9 -- ZFS installs break if only the Wheezy
respository is enabled (a default d-i install), as it has no installable
zfsutils 8.3
N4. install kfreebsd-8 8.3 -- still in experimental, but will need
zfsutils 8.3 too

The overall effect of migration, then, is that kfreebsd-8 8.2 would no
longer be an install/upgrade option for anyone that needs ZFS (except
from snapshots.d.o).  But it will open the door for kfreebsd-8 8.3 to
soon replace it in Wheezy and in the installer.

The migration *must* happen before new/existing Wheezy users (without
using Sid) can install/test ZFS with the newer kernels, particularly a
problem for the d-i images.  I think lots of people (including myself!)
ought to be testing these as soon as possible, in the run-up to the
release of Wheezy and the new kernels upstream.  Upstream were only
alerted to #650667 thanks to testing in Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.

The only other option I see is to split zfsutils so there is a separate
version for installing+running kfreebsd-8 8.2, although that kernel
would disappear anyway when 8.3 replaces it.

I guess bug #651624 is no longer of concern once the installer is using
kfreebsd-8 8.3;  I think that was due to the kernel/zfsutils used by the
installer.  Also it seems #644799 is fixed by newer zfsutils.

Thank you!
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org