Re: Call for testing: Fix for DELETE / BACKSPACE problems in experimental

On 2011-10-30 18:34 +0100, Robert Millan wrote:

> 2011/10/30 Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>:
>
>> Overall xterm seems like a nice improvement over cons25(-debian), the
>> only problem is that Emacs apparently sets up colors for a light
>> background, resulting in minibuffer prompts that are barely readable
>> (dark blue on black).
>
> This seems like a userland problem. Is either ncurses or emacs at
> fault,

It's really an Emacs problem, mainly because it does not offer a way to
override the auto-detection.  At least I don't know one.

> or does it just mean it's wrong for a terminal with black
> background to use "xterm"?

Certainly not, since you're free to use a dark background color in xterm
if you like.

> Doesn't xterm, the application, have the same problem?

No, with xterm >= 243 and Emacs >= 23.2 this problem does not exist
anymore.  From the Emacs 23 NEWS file:

,----
| ** When running in a new enough xterm (newer than version 242), Emacs
| asks xterm what the background color is and it sets up faces
| accordingly for a dark background if needed (the current default is to
| consider the background light).
`----

But other terminal emulators which are more or less xterm-compatible
exhibit the problem as well, e.g. putty and konsole.

Cheers,
       Sven