Interface naming in linprocfs

Dear all,

for some time now I have been somewhat annoyed by the Linux kind
of network adapter names put to display in "/proc/net/dev".

Imagine now that we would revert the file to be displaying
the BSD kernel names instead. What negative effects or failures
are we to expect from such a change?

At present "ifconfig", "netstat", and "route" use the BSD names.
A priori I know of no utility the depends on Linux naming.

Should one influence the corresponding functionality in

   sys/compat/linprocfs/linprocfs.c

to compile into either convention, based on a macro?

Best regards,
  Mats E A