Re: kfreeBSD d-i (squeeze) usable via PXE and serial console (IPMI)?

Hi

ok, I think I can close this thread reporting success (well almost).

Using grub2pxe I was able to boot the Squeeze d-i after a bit of poking I was
able to use KVM via the IPMI card of the server and did not have to bother
with serial over lan.

the expert installer ran fine, during partitioning it complained quite often
(once per device) that it cannot flush the cache of mfidX - supposedly a
missing ioctl or similar.

After that, the base install went fine unless grub2 decided not to install
itself into the MBR of mfid0, grub-mkdevicemap simply did not find anything
properly. Manually setting
(hd0) /dev/mfid0
cured that. Afterwards installing grub succeeded.

Booting into the newly installed server and setting up a testpool for
benchmarking looks good :)

root@geo01:~# zfs list
NAME        USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
benchmark   140K  14.2T  43.0K  /benchmark
root@geo01:~# zpool status
  pool: benchmark
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        benchmark   ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            mfid1   ONLINE       0     0     0
            mfid2   ONLINE       0     0     0
            mfid3   ONLINE       0     0     0
            mfid4   ONLINE       0     0     0
            mfid5   ONLINE       0     0     0
            mfid6   ONLINE       0     0     0
            mfid7   ONLINE       0     0     0
            mfid8   ONLINE       0     0     0
            mfid9   ONLINE       0     0     0
            mfid10  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

VERY NICE!

Thanks a lot for all the work which went into this project!

Cheers

Carsten