Re: Hang on first login

2011/7/22, David Balažic <xerces9@gmail.com>:

> During my last days experience, I never noticed that Debian/kbsd is a
> Technology Preview.
> Not while reading the docs, on the download site or during installation.

Debian website → Ports/Architectures → Debian GNU/kFreeBSD:

“First officially released with Debian 6.0 as a technology preview and
the first non-Linux port released by Debian. Port of the Debian GNU
system to the kernel of FreeBSD.”

> Not saying that it isn't there somewhere, but that it is not placed in
> way where a user would notice it easily.

Trying the navigate to, e.g., a downloadable netinst CD, I indeed do
not seem to come across any mention of the technology preview status.

So, possibly the status should be put on the main port page:

<URL:http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/>

…and maybe somewhere early in the installation manual (for people that
never visit the port page), for example at:

<URL:http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/kfreebsd-i386/ch01s04.html.en>

Or, it could also be envisioned to split the lists of architectures on:

<URL:http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst>

…into something like “amd64, armel, i386 …, technology preview:
kfreebsd-i386, kfreebsd-amd64”?

Nicolas

--
A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion.
Q. Why is top posting bad?