Re: squeeze kfreebsd-8

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011, Robert Millan wrote:

What kind of updates should be provided for the kfreebsd-8 that
shipped with squeeze?

Should it stay with 8.1 or should we update it to 8.2?

If we update it to 8.2, will this cause trouble with 8.1 userland?

There are strong expectations in the FreeBSD world that an 8.1 userland will be functional with an 8.2 kernel. (This occasionally breaks on HEAD, but is documented in /usr/src/UPDATING when it occurs.)

Dragging 8.2 userland with it would be a bad idea IMHO.  What do you
think?

Why do you think it would be a bad idea? Just for the churn factor, or are there other expectations of stability?

If memory serves me right (but I did not check), ZFS updated from 8.1 to 8.2 (but has much more sitting at the tip of the 8-stable branch waiting for 8.3).

-Ben Kaduk

If we stay with 8.1, should we enable PF, PFSYNC, CARP and QUOTA?
What about if_msk backport?