Re: support for more network interface drivers with kfreebsd-image

Hi,

To answer my own question:

On 4/6/11 10:22 PM, Benno Overeinder wrote:
> I installed Debian/kFreeBSD using the netinstall CDROM image, but
> unfortunately the necessary network interface driver was not included.
> So I ended with a really minimal system and no network.  All our 64-bit
> systems (AMD64 architecture) have either the Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network
> Connection (if_em.ko module) or Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T
> (if_bce.ko module) network interface cards.
>
> <snip/>
>
> So here is my request.  Are there if_bce.ko (most preferably) or
> if_em.ko available out there?  Could someone provide them (to me) for
> the kernel (kfreebsd-image-8.1-1-amd64) on the Debian/kFreeBSD
> netinstall image debian-6.0.1a-kfreebsd-amd64-netinst.iso?

As the if_bce.ko kernel module was missing for the
kfreebsd-image-8.1-1-amd64 kernel, I copied the if_bce.ko module from
the binary FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE distribution, put it in the directory
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>, and finally een kldload if_bce.  And it
worked!  The interface card was recognized, and after ifup bce0 the
interface was configured.  (This needs adding iface bce0 in
/etc/network/interfaces, as it was not configured during install.)

After upgrading the system from squeeze to testing, which upgraded the
kernel to 8.2, I did the same "trick" and copied the if_bce.ko from the
binary FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE.

-- Benno

--
Benno J. Overeinder