Re: ZFS v28: call for testing

2011/11/3 Arno Töll <debian@toell.net>:

> Hello Robert,
>
> On 29.10.2011 16:35, Robert Millan wrote:
>> - kfreebsd-image-9.0-*
>> - zfsutils (8.3~svn226546-1 or later)
>
> following our recent discussion I've added a proof of concept patch
> which is embedding shared libraries into the zfsutils binary package. To
> make everyone else happy I am installing them into /lib/zfsutils and use
> RPATH to load them at runtime. Tell me what you think.
>
> I also set RPATH for the two remaining libraries /lib/libzfs.so.1 and
> /lib/libzpool.so.1 as they use symbols of embedded libraries. Please let
> me know if you achieve problems with that setup.

Uhm I'm not convinced, it gets too complicated IMHO.  And what will
happen when we provide dtrace?  It'll likely use one of those
libraries.

I think what we have now is almost fine, the only problem I see is
that we provide -dev packages for libraries which aren't really meant
to have a stable ABI (and which don't include header files btw).

How about just removing the -dev packages and leave the rest as-is?