Re: Vax and GNU/KFreeBSD

On Mon, 2011-09-19 20:41:16 +0200, paolo delbene <id3rfix@gmail.com> wrote:
> debian removed the support for Vax
>
> http://www.debian.org/ports/
>
> List of unofficial ports
>  Port Architecture Description Status
> alpha<http://www.debian.org/ports/alpha/>
> Alpha First officially released with Debian 2.1. It failed the criteria for
> inclusion into the release of Debian 6.0 squeeze, and was in consequence
> removed from the archive. discontinued

Up to now, Debian never ever supported VAXen. I guess you're mixing up
VAX, Alpha and MIPS here. DEC used all these processors at some time.
The first of them was VAX (being the successor of the well-known
PDP-11 et al. machines). VAX CPUs were used in different VAX (server)
machines as well as small-sized desktop machines (called VAXstations).

They were continued as DECstations, using MIPS CPUs. (And the overall
hardware is quite similar.)

From MIPS, DEC went over to the Alpha CPUs in their Personal
Workstations and other products. Again, the very first Alpha-based
systems were quite similar the the late VAX- and MIPS-based machines
(the Pelicane desktop computers.)

But after all, VAX (being a CISC architecture) is not Alpha (which is
a RISC chip.)

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481