Re: Broadcom bnx2/bce support in 6.02

Hi!

Matthew Franz <mdfranz@gmail.com> writes:
> I noticed that the bnx firmware packages are in non-free but has
> anyone used them?  Installing them on kfreebsd did not have the same
> effect as on standard Debian which installing the firmware .deb just
> works....
>
> I assume that requires the presence of the bce device?  Or perhaps all
> the firmware tools are linux?

  These firmware packages are indeed linux specific and won't work on
kfreebsd unfortunately (suffering from no support for my intel wifi here
myself)

> I'm building a new kernel (for pfsync/carp) following the instructions here
>
> http://mixinet.net/~sto/blog/debian/20101130_The_FreakyWall_Part_3/
>
> And my naive attempt to just add "device bce" to the config failed.

  You'd need to at least `exit 0` the script that cleans all the
firmware blobs from the source and re-run get-orig-source (iirc it's
called like that). HHaven't had success myself trying to build a kernel
for my usecase however.

  At Debconf we were talking about the firmware thing as well and I
remember someone here saying one could probably ship most of them as
loadable modules so there might be something in the (hopefully not too
far) future.

Regards

    Christoph

--
9FED 5C6C E206 B70A 5857  70CA 9655 22B9 D49A E731
Debian Developer | Lisp Hacker | CaCert Assurer