Re: xserver-xorg-video-intel missing

2011/7/7 Hannes <debian-bsd-list@soulrebel.in-berlin.de>:
> After some bug-reporting that what fixed, but now apparently this was
> reverted. Was there a specific reason for this?

It was disabled because recent versions require KMS, which kernel of
FreeBSD doesn't support yet.

> Also, if someone does reactivate automated builds for the intel driver,
> can we force the version to <=2.7.1 since later versions don't work at
> all without KMS or require newer kernel-drm which is not ported yet?

It could be done but it's not that simple, someone would have to
maintain a package of the old version, as well as an old version of
libdrm, then sort out conflicts with the latest libdrm, etc.

There has been some progress in FreeBSD upstream to implement KMS:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2011-June/010898.html
http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU

Perhaps there's usable KMS support by the time kfreebsd 9.0 is released.