Re: GCC-4.5 as the default for (at least some) architectures

On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 02:34 +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> I'll make gcc-4.5 the default for (at least some) architectures within the next
> two weeks before more transitions start.  GCC-4.5 is already used as the default
> compiler for almost any other distribution, so there shouldn't be many surprises
> on at least the common architectures.  About 50% of the build failures exposed
> by GCC-4.5 are fixed [1].  I didn't see issues on amd64 and i386, armel
> (although optimized for a different processor) and powerpc (some object files
> linked into shared libs had to be built as pic).

It looks like kfreebsd-* also made the switch and there's been a request
to switch for mips and mipsel.

Looking through the bug list for src:gcc-4.5, none of the open issues
seem to be specific to the remaining release architectures which haven't
switched yet - i.e. ia64, s390 and sparc.  Are you aware of any issues
which would preclude switching the default on those architectures?  Has
there been any discussion with the port maintainers regarding switching?

Regards,

Adam