Re: How do I get into porting?

On 02-25 21:19, Robert Millan wrote:
> 2011/2/25 David Hiran Watson <hiranwatson@gmail.com>:
> > Is it better to port vbox from Debian GNU/Linux or build the source code?
>
> I recommend that you build it from Debian source
> (apt-get source virtualbox-ose).
>
> virtualbox is a difficult target though, if you're new to porting it
> might be better to start with simpler ones.

Hi.

AFAIK Virtualbox is working on FreeBSD with some patches.

You would need to check this out

http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox
http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox/ToDo

to bring kernel driver to work and good shape.

But indeed it is hard task, and i will suggest first looking
how well virtualbox works in pure FreeBSD, as porting it to Debian GNU/kFreeBSD,
will be even harder.

I think simpler task would be to make qemu with kqemu work on kFreeBSD.
AFAIK it work under FreeBSD (at least around kernel 7.0)
Look here
http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/emulators/kqemu-kmod.html

Regards.

--