Re: GCC-4.5 as the default for (at least some) architectures

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> wrote:
> > I'll make gcc-4.5 the default for (at least some) architectures within th=
> e next
> > two weeks before more transitions start. =A0GCC-4.5 is already used as th=
> e default
> > compiler for almost any other distribution, so there shouldn't be many su=
> rprises
> > on at least the common architectures. =A0About 50% of the build failures =
> exposed
> > by GCC-4.5 are fixed [1]. =A0I didn't see issues on amd64 and i386, armel
> > (although optimized for a different processor) and powerpc (some object f=
> iles
> > linked into shared libs had to be built as pic).
> >
> > As the maintainer file for the ports in GCC is a bit outdated, I'd like t=
> o ask
> > which architectures should do the switch together with the four architect=
> ures
> > mentioned above, and which not, and which ones should be better delayed, =
> or dropped.
>
> Dave,
>
> What's your opinion on switching to GCC 4.5 for HPPA?

Do it!  I have built glibc with it and all my recent kernel have
been with 4.5.  I'm not aware of any new issues with 4.5 and a number
of things are fixed.

For kernel builds, the following patch must be included:

2010-12-18  John David Anglin  <dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>

        PR target/46915
	* config/pa/pa.c (branch_to_delay_slot_p): Use next_active_insn instead
	of next_real_insn.  Search forward checking for both ASM_INPUT and
	ASM_OPERANDS asms until exit condition is found.
	(branch_needs_nop_p): Likewise.
	(use_skip_p): New function.
	(output_cbranch): Use use_skip_p.
	(output_bb, output_bvb): Likewise.

There are some other bug fixes in 4.6 that might need back porting.

We also need this binutils change:

2011-02-18  John David Anglin  <dave.anglin@nrc-cnnrc.gc.ca>

        PR ld/12376
	emulparams/hppalinux.sh (DATA_ADDR): Define.
	(SHLIB_DATA_ADDR): Likewise.

This should eliminate cache issues arising from non equivalent aliasing.

Hopefully, the above will help resolve some of the build and kernel issues
that blocked squeeze.  I personally don't know what the critical blockers
were.  If they involve GCC or binutils, I'm willing to take a look.  I'm
sure a number of things have been magically fixed by updates to the
middle-end.  The biggest issue is the callee copies args on HPPA and
this differs from most other targets.

Regards,
Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)