Re: A future package `quota-kfreebsd'

Dear Robert Millan and all others,

tisdag den 18 januari 2011 klockan 22:45 skrev Robert Millan detta:
> 2011/1/18 Mats Erik Andersson <mats.andersson@gisladisker.se>:
> > I could use some friendly advice on the best procedure of porting
> > utilities from FreeBSD to GNU/kFreeBSD. Presently I use a kernel
> > for kfreebsd-amd64 with file system quota enabled. I also have
> > working executables [...]
>
> Nice work!
>
> > Could a friendly soul point me to a document where I can
> > learn the preferred way of extracting from
> >
> >    src/libexec/
> >    src/sbin/
> >    src/usr.bin/
> >    src/usr.sbin/
>
> You need to look at freebsd-utils.  See this example on
> how to add new sources:
>
> http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/glibc-bsd/trunk/freebsd-utils/debian/rules?r1=3184&r2=3188&view=patch

This was very helpful, so now is the time for two strategic questions.

  1. I suggest to let "src:freebsd-utils" build a new binary
     package "freebsd-quota". Would this naming be acceptable?

At present I have modifications to the rules file of "src:freebsd-utils"
in version 8.1-3.1, and corresponding minimal patches to build the binaries

     /sbin/quotacheck
     /usr/bin/quota
     /usr/sbin/edquota
     /usr/sbin/quotaon    (and trivially `quotaoff')
     /usr/sbin/repquota

Still missing is `/libexec/rpc.rquota' before the package content would
complete as seen to binary executables. In order compile these, I need to
include from upstream FreeBSD

     libexec/rpc.rquotad
     sbin/fsck
     sbin/fsck_ffs
     sbin/quotacheck
     usr.bin/quota
     usr.sbin/edquota
     usr.sbin/quotaon
     usr.sbin/repquota

  2. Since I need to mend seven of these (only `quotaon' is flawless),
     is there some subdivision of patches according to directories that
     best fits the customs of this group of developers? I prefer to get
     to know such practice already now in order to lessen your later
     peer review labour.

Best regards,
  Mats Erik Andersson, DM