Re: Testing with VMWare Fusion... No virtual SCSI devices

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 12:13:09AM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 11:13:35PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:

> > > That sounds promising. Do you have an idea when it will be ready for
> > testing?
> > >

> > I hope next week, it will also depends on how long the ftpmasters will
> > accept the packages.
> >

> My apologies. I got busy. Did the 8.1 kernel ISO ever get cut?

Since end of August, daily images are using a 8.1 kernel. You can fetch
them from:

http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/

I finally got around to testing with the 8.1-1-amd64 kernel, and it works well enough. Basically I can install the base OS, boot it, and installing a few additional packages worked.

Setup VMWare Fusion 3.1.1
VM OS preset:  Other -> FreeBSD 64-bit
Other settings: SCSI disk (vs. IDE)
Install method: Expert

This leaves me pretty hopeful that this should work for VMWare Workstation, and ESXi which means our testing userbase is potentially pretty large. Is there anything folks would like me to test?

Cheers,
Brian

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
aurelien@aurel32.net                 http://www.aurel32.net