Re: porting userland ppp to kfreebsd

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 09:05:23AM +0100, Petr Salinger wrote:
> > As far as I know, there's currently no possibility of doing PPP or PPPoE
> > in Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. I'd like to see that fixed.
> >
> > So I've started trying to port the userland ppp daemon from FreeBSD 8.0:
>
> > I guess the next step is to make a package out of this thing... Any
> > suggestions on how I should proceed? I'm generally familiar with Debian
> > packaging, but I wonder if there are any kfreebsd-specific tricks,
> > especially since here there's no upstream tarball and a good few patches
> > (I'm not used to the new quilt stuff...)
> >
> > I would also appreciate help on how to manage a package through SVN or
> > SVK.
>
> We have shared SVN on alioth, see
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/glibc-bsd/trunk/?op=log
>
> In the case of ppp, the source is already included
> in freebsd-utils source package ;-)

I don't see it here:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/glibc-bsd/trunk/freebsd-utils/#_trunk_freebsd-utils_

... am I missing something?

> You could start with "apt-get get source freebsd-utils",
> add your patch, alter debian/rules, ...
>
> The r/w access to our SVN can be obtained by joining via
> https://alioth.debian.org/projects/glibc-bsd/

Oh I see... Hum. Seems to me that mixes up way too many things, and it
would be useful to separate some of those in individual packages.

I have filed an ITP for ppp before seeing your response:

I have also started working on an individual debian package, again
before learning about this repository.

Seems to me we should separate those things in multiple packages. Does
that make sense to you guys?

Thanks for the feedback,

A.

--