From: "Petr Salinger" <Petr.Salinger@seznam.cz>
To: billnickels@hotmail.com
Cc: debian-bsd@lists.debian.org
Sent: Monday, 11 January, 2010 2:18:30 PM
Subject: Re: Install ??

> Followed the install through the return out of Alt-F3 back to Freebsd
> sysinstall. Instructions didn't mention any additional steps once back to
> sysinstall. Exited out. At boot the system comes up to a command line login.
> Entered root and the root prompt comes up without asking for passwd. That may
> be by design as I don't recall user setup ever running. Xserver-xorg isn't in
> the system and none of the debian package stuff is available either. I think
> I have missed some setup steps. Are there additional setup steps to take once
> back to sysinstall? Is xorg version from freebsd or debian? Should I start
> over( on vitualbox so not a big deal ) or can I continue with sysinstall from
> the command line or CD image?

It looks like you used the old modified FreeBSD sysinstall.
Now, the debian-installer images should be mature enough:
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/kfreebsd-amd64/ and
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/kfreebsd-i386/

Anyway, you should have the basic system now.
Please add into /etc/apt/sources.list line like

deb http://ftp.cz.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

and run "apt-get update", "apt-get dist-upgrade".
After that, you can install individual packages like
xorg, xserver-xorg etc using "apt-get install xorg".
The problem might be uninstalability
of some packages due to ongoing transition.

I recomend also to install 8.0 based kernel,
either kfreebsd-image-8-amd64 or choose one from
kfreebsd-image-8-486/kfreebsd-image-8-686/kfreebsd-image-8-686-smp.

Petr