Re: ifdown and /proc/net/dev

Hi!

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 15:18:22 +0100, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> it seems to me that the linux-ism in /proc/net/dev is the
> cause for a dozen errors from "ifdown" at shutdown. The
> complaints are non-existent interface names. The explanation
> is that "/proc/net/dev" mentions "eth0", while the correct
> interface is "bge0", and the like, in GNU/kFreeBSD.

I've also been bothered by this for a long time, but never took the
time to investigate much. The actual problem is that halt does try
to shut down all network interfaces before finishing, but it uses
SIOCGIFCONF which has some portability quirks.

So the compatibility in /proc/net/dev is not really a problem here,
and reverting the interface name mapping done in the kernel (just one
line would need to be changed) might break some stuff making use of
it, and it would need some testing with several tools before doing so.

> Is this situation being remedied in some manner?

I've a patch now that fixes this, I've to do some final polishing
and then I'll submit it to sysvinit.

regards,
guillem