Re: Xterm and GNU/kFreeBSD

Hi,

Mats Erik Andersson <mats.andersson@gisladisker.se> (07/12/2010):
> Dear all,
>
> with the risk of making a fool of myself, I need to address an issue.
> Is Xorg/Xterm really working impeccably within GNU/kFreeBSD?  Are all
> dependencies brought in as needed?
>
> In essence, I started with
>
>     # apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-vesa twm xterm
>
> Still it is not possible to access Xterm, neither from Twm, nor after
>
>     $ startx xterm
>
> The terminal window is created, but no user input is possible.
> In another effort I have patched Xvt for GNU/kFreeBSD. Originally,
> it was was able to complain on the lack of controlling terminal,
> but after patching which amends this, this complaint disappears.
> Thus I know that Xorg/startx cat execute applications, but there
> seems to be deficiencies on the event level. Or?

You installed a video driver, and clients. You probably want to
install xserver-xorg-input-{mouse,kbd} as well. If those are installed
as well, please run the X bug script, and attach its output:
  /usr/share/bug/xorg/script 3>/tmp/script.log

That's why we have metapackages like xorg and xserver-xorg.

Mraw,
KiBi.
(with an X maintainer hat)