Re: Route script, ifup and IPv6.

Hi Mats,

Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> will someone finally begin listening to my comments on GNU/kFreeBSD.

Hmmm?

> The script /sbin/route is really a tie-down for GNU/kFreeBSD.

Right. It's also one of the "not yet done" points on my GNU/kFreeBSD
talk slides.

> It is completely tied to IPv4 and to exactly handle ifup/ifdown.
> Nothing else. The patch reprinted below, begins making those
> alteration that let "/sbin/route" catch all "route add"-commands
> that "ifup" care to send, be it IPv4 or Ipv6.

Yay! So I don't have to code this patch. (It was on my todo list, but
farther down.)

BTW, with regards to the first sentence of your mail: Did you sent it
in before already? If so, I missed it, sorry.

> The new script is not able to set up IPv6 properly, simply because
> the call to "ifconfig" from "ifup" is a pure gnu-linux-ism:
>
>     ifconfig bge0 add 2001:fake:beef::1/64
>
> This fails with a bad address under GNU/kFreeBSD. The correct call
> needs a domain specifier:
>
>     ifconfig bge0 add inet6 2001:fake:beef::1/64
>
> The format string in "ifup" will never catch this.

Sounds doable nevertheless.

> Given my changes to the script "/sbin/route", it is now able to
> configure my native IPv6 support using a boot script

Yay!

> The script still distroys most capacieties of /lib/freebsd/route.

Destroys? Did you mean "ignores"?

> These are harsh words, but my disappointment with GNU/kFreeBSD
> for IPv6 has grown steadily ever since Summer.

Understandable.

Will try to test your patch. Can't though promise any date for that.
So if anyone else wants to jump on this bandwaggon, feel free. :-)

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin