Re: A (partial) installation report

Dear Petr.

2010/4/8 Petr Salinger <Petr.Salinger@seznam.cz>:
>> Short of recompiling my own kernel including the GEOM class of modules
>> (if that is indeed the solution to my problem), can I load anything
>> dynamically, so that I can understand the system slightly better?
>
> I have just started compiling kernel with them (8.0-5+geom),
> it will be available at http://io.debian.net/~salinger/

Thank you very much for your kindness of compiling it for me. I
appreciate it highly.

> The already enabled have been:
>
> WARNING: duplicate option `GEOM_LABEL' encountered.
> WARNING: duplicate option `GEOM_PART_BSD' encountered.
> WARNING: duplicate option `GEOM_PART_EBR' encountered.
> WARNING: duplicate option `GEOM_PART_EBR_COMPAT' encountered.
> WARNING: duplicate option `GEOM_PART_GPT' encountered.
> WARNING: duplicate option `GEOM_PART_MBR' encountered.

Thanks. BTW, I saw that these were already compiled as modules, not
built in the kernel.

> Would you mind to test whether this kernel will work for you ?

Sorry for not replying promptly, but my wife didn't let me work on
that yesterday, but I got some time to test it, yes.

Unfortunately, the results were the same. Seeing as what I got was the
same thing, I figured it out that it would be a good thing to explain
better what the hardware is (just a quick reminder, this is a *real*
kFreeBSD installation, not a virtual machine).

* I put various stuff (dmesg logs, outputs of lspci invoked with many
levels of verbosity, output of dmidecode etc) on this file:

   http://rb.doesntexist.org/debian/kfreebsd-logs.tar.bz2

* I also tried to boot the system with kfreebsd-7 with the -v option
passed to the kernel, but there were so many messages that filled the
dmesg buffer and only part of them are included in the logs above.

* I also took many pictures of the screen of the system booted with
the kfreebsd-8 kernel that you posted, but I did not upload them yet
(will do so ASAP).

If any further information is needed, please let me know and I will do
my best to get as much information as possible.

I want to get kFreeBSD running smoothly with as many *real*
installations as I can, so that we can have a solid release. I have at
least 3 other notebooks where I can trash their installation and get
things working, but let's proceed one with one step at a time. :-)

And, if it is not obvious yet, , *YES*, I do care about the platform. :-)