Re: UUID support during boot

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 09:44:03PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:

> Hi,
Hi,

> Vladimir Serbinenko made this small patch that would, in principle, enable
> UUID-based device location when booting GNU/kFreeBSD from GRUB.
>
> It can be applied directly to /etc/grub.d/10_kfreebsd.  Please could someone
> confirm that it works?  If it does we'll merge it in GRUB trunk repository.
>
> Using UUIDs for device location is quite important, because it resolves
> problems with device nodes changing their names (e.g. if disks are moved,
> or the setup used during install differs from the one used in installed
> system).

Thanks for working on that, I also agree it's important.

Unfortunately it doesn't work as expected, though the problem is not on
the GRUB side. The file system is correctly mounted, but when the boot
scripts try to mount the root filesystem read-only, they uses
/dev/ad0s1 (the value in the fstab) instead of the UUID, which fails.
The filesystem therefore stays read-only which make the boot to fail.

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73