Re: IPv6, insserv, netstat and hald/X.org with 8.0 kernel

Hi Petr,

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 11:35:04AM +0100, Petr Salinger wrote:
>> So the wrapper does not to support IPv6.
>>
>> Anyone working on this? If not I would try to get IPv6 support into
>> it, but a comment about the reason for and the ideas behind the
>> wrapper from its author would be helpful.
>
> I am not the author, but the idea have been to provide compat layer to be
> able to use ifupdown package unmodified.

Ok, that explains it quite well.

So I'll have a look at passing through the IPv6 stuff without hosing
ifupdown.

I just can't promise when I wil do it since I'm travelling at lot in
November and my kFreeBSD box is no mobile computer. (And I try to not
fiddle around with network remotely. :-)

>> What's the current policy regarding FTBFS on kfreebsd? Report them?
>> Reopen them if they claim to be fixed, but don't report new ones?
>
> My suggestion would be:
>
> - for never existing packages report new-one only with patches or recipes
> - for regression reopen or create new report even without patch

Thanks for the guidance.

>> insserv throws a lot of error messages during the installation of
>> packages having an init.d script.
>
> Insserv tries to use *at interfaces.
> Do you have your /etc "bind mounted" or something like that ?

Nope:

# mount
/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
linprocfs on /proc (linprocfs, local)
linsysfs on /sys (linsysfs, local)
fdescfs on /dev/fd (fdescfs)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw (tmpfs, local, nosuid)
#

(The output is from the running 7.2, but it shouldn't differ a lot
from the output under 8.0.)

> Does rebuilding of insserv against eglibc 2.10 help ?

I will try.

>> netstat still comes from the package freebsd-hackedutils of the
>> debian-ports unreleased archive, but since AFAIK the freebsd route
>> command can't display the current list of routes it's the only way I
>> know to display the current routing table. (So basically the question
>> here is "what we'll do for displaying routing tables tables" instead
>> of "why netstat from FreeBSD 6.1 behaves strange on an 8.0 kernel".
>
> The freebsd-hackedutils currently provides:
>
> /sbin/disklabel
> /sbin/mount_nfs
> /sbin/mount_nfs4
> /sbin/freebsd-fdisk
> /usr/bin/kdump
> /usr/bin/netstat
> /usr/sbin/pppctl
> /usr/sbin/pppstats
> /usr/sbin/ppp
> /usr/sbin/pppd
>
> The netstat and kdump are the most needed binaries to be "ported".

Full ack, especially for debugging other bugs. :-)

> The sources are already in freebsd-utils source packages, the right
> way is to remove comment in debian/rules and write needed patches
> ;-)

Ah, ok. I probably can't help a lot here except testing or bug
reporting. (I'm already happy if I manage to fix normal application
for kFreeBSD. :-)

		Regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | abe@noone.org (Mail+Jabber)