Re: ZFS on kFreeBSD

Hi, David.

On Sep 24 2009, David Given wrote:
> Personally, I find the following comment from the FreeBSD ZFS tuning
> guide most scary:
>
> > To use ZFS, at least 1GB of memory is recommended (for all architectures)
> > but more is helpful as ZFS needs *lots* of memory. Depending on your
> > workload, it may be possible to use ZFS on systems with less memory, but
> > it requires careful tuning to avoid panics from memory exhaustion in the
> > kernel.
> (http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide)

Wow, 1GB of memory! That's about 4 times more than the maximum that some
of my systems here are able to cope with.

The days of really slim design have (unfortunately) ended, it seems.

The video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtCW-axRJV8 shows just what
some people were able to do with computers that were *much* weaker than
what we have today (both in terms of computing power as well as space).

And the irony: the video of the program (even when stored with
"high-end" codecs like H.264 and AAC) is about 15 times bigger than the
program together with its documentation.

I sincerely miss those days.

> If a file system can cause the kernel to panic due to running out of
> memory, something is very wrong!

Indeed. Not only regarding the efficiency, but also the correctness and
reliability of the programs.

> ┌─── dg@cowlark.com ───── http://www.cowlark.com ─────

Heh, a very smart way of preventing spam, huh? Nice idea. I'll steal
it. :-)