moused vs X (was: Re: Xorg & HAL on GNU/kFreeBSD ...)

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 04:18:16PM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> Following the recent changes in the archive, here is a procedure to get
> Xorg working with HAL on GNU/kFreeBSD:
>
> * Update kfreebsd-image-7.2-1-flavor to at least 7.2-5.
> * Update hal to at least 0.5.13-3
> * Put 10-x11-input-kbd.fdi and 10-x11-input-mouse.fdi (attached)
>   into /etc/hal/fdi/policy.
> * If you wan to configure your keyboard for Xorg, use 'dpkg-reconfigure
>   console-setup'.
> * /etc/init.d/hal restart

... and you have to care that the device isn't already exclusively
used by moused.

Apropos moused: I didn't get it working anyway with my USB mouse (a
Logitech Marble Mouse USB). Moused (with options -d and -f) seems to
see everything I do with the mouse, but no cursor appears on the
text console.

According to the FreeBSD handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/compatibility-kbd-mice.html#MOUSED,
you could enable it with "vidcontrol -m on" -- but we don't seem to
have that. so I just filed a wishlist bugreport against freebsd-utils
to include it: http://bugs.debian.org/544083

Anyway, I didn't get moused and X to have both a working mouse. Even
with an X.org config with

  Option "AutoAddDevices"  "no"

and

  Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option          "Protocol" "SysMouse"
  EndSection

because without them, it tries to open /dev/usm0, is denied access and
unloads (!) the mouse driver, even if /dev/sysmouse was successfully
found as a mosue just a second before. *grml*

It accepted /dev/sysmouse as mouse, but failed later (cursor doesn't
move) and I can't determine the reason from the log:

(**) Option "Protocol" "SysMouse"
(**) Configured Mouse: Device: "/dev/sysmouse"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "SysMouse"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "BaudRate" "1200"
(**) Option "StopBits" "2"
(**) Option "DataBits" "8"
(**) Option "Parity" "None"
(**) Option "Vmin" "1"
(**) Option "Vtime" "0"
(**) Option "FlowControl" "None"
(==) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 9
(**) Configured Mouse: Sensitivity: 1
(**) Configured Mouse: BaudRate: 1200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(**) Configured Mouse: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
(**) Configured Mouse: (accel) filter chain progression: 2.00
(**) Configured Mouse: (accel) filter stage 0: 20.00 ms
(**) Configured Mouse: (accel) set acceleration profile 0
(II) config/hal: Adding input device USB Trackball
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
(II) config/hal: Adding input device product 0x0011
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
(II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Keyboard
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)

Full xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option          "Protocol" "SysMouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        SubSection      "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "2048x1152"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Axels Handgebastel"
    InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "AllowEmptyInput" "no"
        Option "AutoAddDevices"  "no"