Re: Issues with current state of GNU/kFreeBSD

On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 05:44:32PM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > Installed: keyboard layouts missing
> > ------------------------------------
> > There appears to be no way to use a keyboard layout different
> > than the standard US one.
>
> Maybe related to the problem in the installer.
This was on an installation using the sysinstall based disc. I don't
know about the d-i created installation. But maybe I just don't know
how to change the keyboard layout in kFreeBSD.

> > Installed: Filesystem of /proc should be procfs
> > -------------------------------------
> > The filesystem of /proc should be procfs and not linprocfs in
> > order to be compatible to FreeBSD. linprocfs only emulates parts
> > of a Linux 2.4 procfs and is not really useful. This is needed
> > e.g. to get kbuild working, as it calls readlink() on
> > /proc/curproc/file which is only available on procfs.
>
> linprocfs is really useful, a lot of applications breaks without it.
OK, but BSD applications may also break without procfs or not behave
correctly. At least it is not as critical as I thought, because kbuild
seems to work without procfs.

> > If this gets changed, /sys should maybe be dropped to, and both
> > linux compatibility FS should be mounted somewhere in e.g.
> > /var/lib/linux (i.e. /var/lib/linux/{sys,proc}).
>
> This will break a lot of application looking in /proc and /sys for Linux
> style files, not something we are going to change until all those
> applications are fixed (aka in a few years).
The question would be how to fix them. You can't fix an application to support
FreeBSD's procfs if it is not mounted.

> > Other Stuff
> > ===========
> >
> > VirtualBox 3.0 on GNU/kFreeBSD
> > -------------------------------
> > I'd like to have VirtualBox one GNU/kFreeBSD, as upstream already
> > has support for FreeBSD. This will require changes to the kbuild
> > package and the virtualbox-ose package. I have not talked to the
> > maintainers yet, but I would take care of writing the patches.
> >
> > I already installed an IDE (Geany) on my kFreeBSD VM, so I can
> > code on this. I will prepare the needed patches, send them to the
> > BTS and will inform you once I'm finished.
> >

> Feel free to provide patches.
I have already sent a patch for kbuild to the BTS[1]. The next step is
lirc, so we get pulseaudio => libsdl1.2 => virtualbox-ose.

fflagstostr() and strtofflags() should probably be added to libbsd,
as they can be used by kbuild (I disabled them in the patch for now). But
it seems to work without them as well.

Links:
Julian Andres Klode  - Free Software Developer
   Debian Developer  - Contributing Member of SPI
   Ubuntu Member     - Fellow of FSFE

Website: http://jak-linux.org/   XMPP: juliank@jabber.org
Debian:  http://www.debian.org/  SPI:  http://www.spi-inc.org/
Ubuntu:  http://www.ubuntu.com/  FSFE: http://www.fsfe.org/