Re: FAILURE/ILLEGAL REQUEST with kFreeBSD/i386

Hi once again, people.

On Sep 02 2009, Rogério Brito wrote:
> I have the suspicion that hal is the culprit

Yes, hal *is* the culprit.

Disabling it completely with update-rc.d makes the system boot
beautifully without any problems (but, then, you have to tweak the
xorg.conf file, if you wish to have any way to use your keyboard and
your mouse).

As soon as I /etc/init.d/hal start'ed, I got exactly those messages that
I reported earlier.

This is mightly annoying (well, depending on hal is, IMVHO, a way to
inflate the dependencies of the installations, leaving smaller systems
almost without an option if you want to run Debian, even if we are
running on Linux).

That's not to mention that the XSF is adopting HAL when it is being
deprecated in favor of device-kit/console-kit/udev.

I'm not exactly sure how the kFreeBSD userland will adapt to this
reliance on udev (which, AFAIK, is limited to Linux).

But installing the good, old fashioned way (and there's nothing wrong
with that) is not a problem.

Regards, Rogério Brito.