console-setup and keyboard configuration

Hi,

console-setup is now the common place to configure the keyboard on
Debian for both Xorg and the console. It also configure the fonts of the
console.

While console-setup is installable on GNU/kFreeBSD, it doesn't provide
more than the configuration of Xorg through HAL (see my previous email
about that subject). I have looked a bit how does it work, and how to
get it working on GNU/kFreeBSD. Basically it calls xkbcomp which
converts the Xorg keyboard maps into a kernel one. It supports
different types of keymap ('evdev', 'atari', 'at', etc.), Then the
converted keymap is passed to loadkeys to load the keymap.

The 'at' type seems to be compatible with the FreeBSD type (the same
scancode corresponds to the same touch), however the text format used
to describe the keymap is totally different.

One of the option would be to modify xkbcomp so that it outputs a map
that is understandable by kbdcontrol. The other option is to write
tool which is compatible with loadkeys (or modifying it).

This would also bring keyboard configuration to d-i depending on the
selected country, and configuration of the installed system with the
same keyboard settings.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73