Some annoying non-package-specific problems with Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Hi,

first a short introduction:

I use Debian GNU/FreeBSD since at least somewhen in 2007 (probably
Gürkan infected me with that virus ;-), had it on a Sony Vaio (RIP),
in a 64-bit KVM (was boring), an IBM NetVista (RIP) and since recently
(as replacement for the died NetVista) on a brand new ASUS EeeBox.

My Debian GNU/FreeBSD involvement (besides package-specific bug
reports) so far:

* I'm helping Gürkan and Aurelien to maintain the two developer
  accessible Debian GNU/kFreeBSD machines io.debian.net and
  asdfasdf.debian.net here at ETH Zurich.

* I initiated the Debian-Ports.org APT repository mirror at
  http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian-ports/ and maintain it together with
  Gürkan.

But to come to the reason for this and the following mails:

I always had a bunch of problems with my kFreeBSD machines. Most of
those problems quickly proved to be non-package specific, so I never
filed a bug in the BTS against them, primarily because I didn't know
against which package.

The second reason for not filing bug reports was that those problems
were so blatantly present for me that I never expected that those
problems are unknown to most other Debian GNU/kFreeBSD users -- until
I talked with Aurelien today on IRC.

I initially planned to post this in my blog and therefore on Planet
Debian, but at that point I expected that all the people involved in
Debian GNU/kFreeBSD are aware of these issues.

The details of the problems follow in seperate threads as Aurelien
suggested on IRC.

		Regards, Axel
--
Axel Beckert - abe@deuxchevaux.org, abe@noone.org - http://noone.org/abe/