Re: Can't sign packages on kFreeBSD because gpg wants /dev/tty

Picking up from http://teams.debian.net/lurker/message/20080215.164309.42c0261e.en.html ...

I've just encountered the same behaviour. gpg needs /dev/tty but returns
"No such device or address" and a quick `ls -la | grep tty` doesn't
show it. devfs is mounted on /dev as Markus showed. But then:

`mknod /dev/tty c 5 0`
mknod: 'dev/tty': File exists

`ls -l /dev/tty`
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0, 12 17 feb 18:06 /dev/tty

`file /dev/tty`
/dev/tty: character special (0/12)

It is exactly like this on my canonical FreeBSD 6 and 7 machines (amd64), as well my test of the 7-based kFreeBSD kernel (i386).

But, ehm again:

`cat /dev/tty`
cat: /dev/tty: No such device or address

`echo foo > /dev/tty`
-bash: /dev/tty: No such device or address

My experience (in Debian kFreeBSD) is that /dev/tty is writable but maps to /dev/console (like if I was still in single-user mode).
But when in a real single-user shell, I *do* have job control.
Note that I am running an unusual setup: a real FBSD /sbin/init and /etc/ttys driving GNU /sbin/getty's and /sbin/login's (a unionfs-style live kFreeBSD project utilizing FBSD's new "init_chroot" feature).

I've also ran the logins under a non-pid-0 util-linux /sbin/init (with the FBSD init still as parent/PID1) but I still have the same lack of job control...

I have a hunch that login_tty/TIOCSCTTY issues from these chats were not fully fleshed out (but I am no programmer):
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/glibc-bsd-devel/2005-September/000491.html
http://ibot.rikers.org/%23gnu-kbsd/20060212.html.gz

Hope this helps?
joey (cc me in please