Resp.: can't start xorg or HAL

it gives messages about "no screens found." I'm thinking that maybe it
has something to do with
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". It finishes after the keyboard
(NOTHING about anything else), and invariably gives me this as the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (I tried several times):

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "abnt"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "br"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "abnt"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "br"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

could the inability to start HAL have something to do with it- at the
end of the boot I get messages
that I need to check if "inotify" is enabled in the kernel?