Re: build system: gcc_cv_libc_provides_ssp and NATIVE_SYSTEM_HEADER_DIR

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> Thomas Schwinge dixit:
>
> >Ideally, IMO, this test (for stack-smashing-protection support in glibc)
> >should not be done by grepping through SYSROOT's features.h, but instead
> >by using the CPP for doing that.
>
> Why not just autoconf?
>
> Check for the presence of __stack_smash_handler() in libc… or am I missing
> something important here?

It's desirable to be able to configure GCC correctly in the presence of
installed headers and only a dummy libc.so, so as to get a GCC that can be
used to build the full glibc.  See e.g. the documented bootstrap procedure
at
<http://www.eglibc.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/trunk/libc/EGLIBC.cross-building?rev=2037>.
As such, testing for features of the libc binary in order to build the
core compiler is a bad idea.  The more configuration dependencies you put
between the compiler and the library, the more complicated the bootstrap
procedure becomes.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com