Re: libbsd package

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 13:08:53 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Dixi:
>
> >Any progress on the libbsd package, now that licence issues are out
> >of the way? IIRC, plans were to get it ready for all arches in lenny?

It took a bit more time than expected, but it's already there, as
you've already noticed. Replying to this just to explain some of the
decisions. And thanks for the suggestions, code and feedback!

> There are more problems with the libbsd package:
>
> • debian/copyright is incomplete (only mentions the FreeBSD files)

Yeah, fixed before uploading.

> • src/fgetln.c can never work correctly:
>   │      size_t nread = 0;
>   │      while (nread == 1) {
>   Find attached a working fgetln.c used in MirMake and FreeWRT GNU/Linux

Ditto.

> • some files, like src/fmtcheck.c, can have BSDL clause 3 and 4 removed,
>   see http://www.netbsd.org/changes/#2clause

That was already on the git tree.

> • the MD5 code from RSA DSI can be replaced by a Public Domain implemen-
>   tation, I think I already sent it to… someone here I don’t remember.
>   Attached (replaces md5c.c and md5.copyright)

Ditto.

> • I also attached the version of arc4random.c currently used by the mksh
>   package for Debian, SuSE and Fedora/RHEL, as the FreeBSD version which
>   is currently in libbsd trunk seems to be older

I had already imported a version from FreeBSD with the missing functions
some time ago.

> • I had already suggested including setmode/getmode, e.g. from the mksh
>   source package (attached for convenience)

Didn't remember seeing that previous suggestion, but imported those
from FreeBSD as well before releasing 0.0.

> • In case someone is interested, I have a somewhat optimised strlcat(3)
>   implementation… I'm building it with unifdef, generating 6 source files:
>   ‣ unifdef -DHAVE_STRLCPY=0 -DHAVE_STRLCAT=1 strlfun.c >strlcpy.c
>   ‣ unifdef -DHAVE_STRLCPY=1 -DHAVE_STRLCAT=0 strlfun.c >strlcat.c
>   ‣ unifdef -DSTRXFRM strlfun.c >strxfrm.c
>   ‣ unifdef -DHAVE_WCSLCPY=0 -DHAVE_WCSLCAT=1 wcslfun.c >wcslcpy.c
>   ‣ unifdef -DHAVE_WCSLCPY=1 -DHAVE_WCSLCAT=0 wcslfun.c >wcslcat.c
>   ‣ unifdef -DWCSXFRM wcslfun.c >wcsxfrm.c
>   (of course, the strxfrm/wcsxfrm is only a stub, but okay according to
>   the specs… strcoll becomes strcmp then)

I kept the current version from OpenBSD for simplicity.

thanks,
guillem